Oregon FIRST robotics is partnering with Worksystems, an experienced non-profit that designs and coordinates workforce development programs to help youth get the skills, training and education needed to go to work and advance in their careers. They have implemented a successful summer youth employment program, SummerWorks, with companies such as 3D Systems, Boeing, Microchip Technology, and Planar. Based on last summer’s successful pilot to place a FIRST Robotics participant in a summer internship through the SummerWorks program, we would like to expand this opportunity to more FIRST employer partners in the Portland-area.
Your opportunity — Sponsor a FIRST intern (11th or 12th grade student) this summer to apply his/her STEM skills in your company
- Address a backlog or a special project for which current staff do not have capacity
- Provide your staff an opportunity to develop mentoring/leadership skills by supervising an intern
- Worksystems will do all the upfront training, screening and process payroll for the intern
How It Works
- Internships typically last 6-9 weeks in the summer for a total of 180 hours
- Interns earn minimum wage – $9.25 per hour
- Worksystems will provide basic, work-readiness training to the intern prior to their start at your Company
- Worksystems will provide ongoing job coaching to support the intern and his/her supervisor throughout the internship
- And, Worksystems will take care of payroll and all employer services for your intern
- Companies pay a total of $3,000 per interern
- $2,000 is used to pay the intern’s salary
- $1,000 is donated to FIRST robotics — the program that these interns participate in to promote STEM education and careers
- The balance of the cost of the internship is provided by other public-funding sources via Worksystems
Click here to view a brochure on this opportunity.
Interested? To learn more, please let us know and Reese Lord (email@example.com) from Work Systems and Aliza Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Oregon FIRST robotics will come to your office to provide more information. Thank you for your consideration. We hope you will join us in cultivating a home-grown, talent pipeline.