Team 4125’s programming team consists of two individuals (head programmer and “back-up programmer”). They are doing a great job! So far, there hasn’t been any trouble.
“Things are going good,” our ever explicative programmers informed us. Our robot’s native language will be LabView. Why LabView? That’s the programming language we’ve always used. We originally picked it because we didn’t want to have a “lost in code” situation (it also sounded a lot cooler than C++).
Anyways, as far as the programming goes, everything’s going pretty smoothly.The robot has a complete drive system (which was tested just outside our workshop), and our shooter is in the process of being built. The programming for that is still being tested (it’s not very accurate at the moment), but our guys know what they’re doing, so we’re not worried. Currently, our “back-up programmer” is working out the formulas for the autonomous portion of the game. If all goes well, our robot will be able to move on its own this year (a first for us since this is only our second year).
Our programming team is doing pretty well. The programmers use C++ to program the robot the main problem our programmers have had this year is that we cannot use previous code due to the fact that there are new electrical systems on our robot as well as we have a new drive base size. This limits the ability to use an old mecanum wheels program.
After figuring out the new programming system the only problem our team had was that it required a lot of math to work the analog encoders which was more time consuming than expected. Our programming team has figured out the mechanum drive train and we are close to finishing the encoder programming. We are currently using our test board to check our progress.
This year our programmers have been on top of getting the code done, right now they have been making slight modifications on the speed of the Frisbee launcher and and the function that controls it. Java is our program of choice for our robot, it is a very versatile at programming language and our programmers have the most experience with it. The programmers have had very little time with Raiderbot (our competition robot), the code is primarily tested by manual revision. Currently the biggest challenges we are facing is a lack of manpower and restricted access to Raiderbot. With insufficient access to the robot there is no real way to troubleshoot the code in a real life situation. With the amount of extra time our programming team has due to the restricted access to Raiderbot they have taken on a side project to train the new members and sharpen their own skills, we made a snake game! The game has proven to be very entertaining it had has many different features such as, a single player mode, a multiplier mode, and modes with portals (everything is better with portals!) The game can be played on our website at www.team955.com/snake. even though we have little time with our robot, the code has been approved by the programming captain!