What: Advanced CAD Design Class (Info Below)
When: Every Mon and Wed evening for 3 weeks. 6PM to 9 PM, July 30 to August 15, 2012
Where: Liberty Middle School, Camas, WA
Questions? Contact Brucee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The advanced CAD design class is an opportunity to practice FRIST robot design skills. Focus is on part selection, design and integration into a functional part.
- Prior experience and practice with Autodesk Inventor 3D CAD program is required. You should already know the basic functions and be able to draw parts, and build assemblies. We will be using Inventor 2012
- FIRST robots and game rules provide the design context and application. Student teams can pick one of four design challenges to do in class. These are things you could use on a future competition robot.
- The introduction to each design challenge includes parts and calculations that you could use in your design. Design objectives and constraints are provided for each challenge. Examples of similar assemblies are presented. Some potential parts will be physically available for inspection and measurement. Others can be researched on-line or designed from scratch
- Class will cover a few Inventor skill building activities. Mostly it is an opportunity to introduce useful design calculations and approaches and then practice design and CAD modeling skills. Students will form small design teams to take on their own a design challenge while mentors and classmates are available to consult. We will be learning from each other.
- Basic power calculations
- Gear selection: Torque & force calculations
- Motor selection: Power vs. speed
- Design challenges:
- Will pick one challenge to work on in teams of 2 or 3 students
- Applicable part & design concepts training for whole class is included in each challenge introduction
- Design Challenges
- Stalling gripper gearbox – Clutches, Counter rotators
- Rocking drive frame- Pneumatic force & Kinematic sketches
- Integrated 2 speed drive frame- Gear shifting
- Rotating turret- Precision belt & position sensors
- Work on designs
- Present designs
- Present approach, performance specs, parts & assembly dwgs
- Bill of Materials with parts sources & costs
- Students commit to attend every class
- 6 sessions. If you miss a class you will need to catch up on your own.
- 1 year of FIRST competition season experience
- Basic Inventor skills: Drawing parts drawing and making assemblies.
- Autodesk Inventor Pro (2012) installed and licensed on home PC or own laptop
- Used for practice, catch up for a missed session and next years build season!
- A laptop students can bring to class is preferred but not required. PC’s with the software loaded will be available at the class.
- Download and license software before the 1st class, Inventor Pro download a license is available free to FIRST teams through Autodesk web site: http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=first_home/